Let’s be honest what we put into our bodies is just as vital as what we put on top of our bodies, right? When I returned natural I decided to make a complete change to my overall health. Although this is still a work in progress I am definitely elated that the many changes I have made have resulted in positive results. Now I am acutely aware of ingredients in my products, food, & body products. There are many healing, nourishing & exceptional moisturizing ingredients for our hair out there – the key is to find what works best for you! Although I love so many ingredients with a host of benefits I will share with you my top 5 hair game changers for me!
1. Raw Shea Butter – Who doesn’t love Shea Butter, right? I am sure there are some out there but many of us find this ingredient “to die for” – for our curls, coils and kinks. One thing I have noticed about this ingredient is I have seen almost every natural hair texture rave about this ingredient. Why? Let’s take a closer look!
- What is Raw Shea Butter? – Essential fatty acids w/ tons of vitamins derived from the Shea Tree’s fruit. Best known for its moisturizing & healing properties.
- Benefits – Packed w/ tons of hydrating moisture, heals, nourishes, softens hair & skin, battles dandruff, reduces – eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, adds shine to hair, reduces hair breakage, antibacterial, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, fantastic conditioner for hair & scalp, & natural humectant.
- Texture – Rich & thick butter
2. Aloe Vera Juice/Gel (Aloe Leaf Juice) – I love this stuff or should I say my hair loves it! I really didn’t know much about AVJ as I was more familiar with the gel form when used for burns or cuts. I quickly learned why this was an important ingredient for my natural hair journey. Check out what I learned about this fantastic ingredient.
- What is Aloe Vera Juice? – Made of up rich vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids derived from the Aloe Vera plant. Best known for its moisturizing & soothing properties.
- Benefits – Natural moisturizer (that relieves dry, itchy skin), promotes hair growth, heal & soothe dry itchy scalp, awesome conditioner for hair & scalp, and acts like a humectant.
- Texture – Liquid & Gel
- What is Coconut Oil? – Fatty Acid oil packed full of sweet antioxidants derive from coconuts from the Coconut Tree. Best known for its moisturizing & repairing properties.
- Benefits – Skin & hair moisturizer, penetrates hair shaft, fantastic for line/wrinkles on skin, awesome skin/tone smoother & improves skin elasticity for stretch marks, protein packed, softens hair, aids in proper hair growth, great for scalp massages to help with scalp issues, fantastic hair sealant, adds shine to hair, frizz buster, strengthens hair, reduces breakage & great hair detangler. A little goes a long ways.
- Texture – Liquid oil during warm temps & solidifies during cold terms
4. Jamaican Black Castor Oil – This oil definitely took me by surprise. Although I personally don’t use it pure out of the bottle – a lot of my products contain this oil. I encountered naturals talking about it but didn’t expect my hair to love this ingredient. I honestly wasn’t too familiar with it & once I tried OMG my hair was in love. Here is what I learned about this vital oil & why my hair loves it so much!
- What is Jamaican Black Castor Oil? – Rich omega oil derived from the castor bean. Best known for its reparative & hair growth properties for our hair & scalp.
- Benefits – Moisturizes, thickens, aids in proper hair growth, strengthens, reduces – dandruff, eczema & dry itchy scalp, reduces hair breakage, repairs split ends, and increases blood flow to the scalp.
- Texture – Liquid
- What is Olive Oil? – Rich in vitamins & fatty acids that are derived from the wild olive tree. Best known for its moisturizing & nourishing properties.
- Benefits – All natural hydrating moisturizer that nourishes hair & skin, full of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, prevents dandruff, aids in proper hair growth, heals, penetrates hair shaft, smoothes hair and leaves your hair full of shine.
- Texture – Liquid
Today’s Natural Hair Lingo
CAN ⇒ Calling All Naturals
BC ⇒ Big Chop
AVJ ⇒ Aloe Vera Juice
- Houston Chronicle Paper – Shea Moisture Bath, Body, baby or Hair Product coupon – $2.00 off! Expire